Recovering from an injury often means getting compensation from the at-fault party. Find out how to move forward with your claim by working with a personal injury lawyer in Detroit.
An accident can turn your life upside down in an instant. You may suddenly find yourself with severe injuries. As you struggle with a difficult physical and emotional recovery, you may be out of work and unable to earn a living. In the meantime, you must face a pile of medical bills and other living expenses.
Were your accident and injuries caused by someone else’s negligence or recklessness? If so, you can hold those at-fault parties accountable for your injuries and damages. The financial compensation you receive could cover your medical expenses, lost income, and pain and suffering.
Pursuing that personal injury claim is no easy task. To get your best chance at securing maximum compensation, you need compassionate and experienced legal representation on your side.
If you or a loved one have been injured through no fault of your own, contact a Detroit personal injury attorney at Christensen Law today. We will schedule a free case evaluation where you will learn more about your legal options and how our firm can help you with your personal injury claim. There is no fee unless we win your case.
How Can a Detroit Personal Injury Attorney Help You?
If you believe you have a personal injury claim in Detroit, a personal injury attorney from Christensen Law can help you by:
- Thoroughly investigating the facts and circumstances of your accident to secure the evidence for a strong legal argument on your behalf
- Identifying at-fault parties and sources of compensation (such as insurance coverage)
- Working with engineering, medical and financial experts to build your case
- Keeping you informed of development at every stage of your claim and advising you on the best paths forward
- Negotiating with insurers and at-fault parties to try to arrive at a settlement that provides you with full and fair compensation
- Preparing to take your claim to court, if a trial becomes necessary
Damages in a Personal Injury Case
When you have been injured through no fault of your own in an accident, you may be entitled to seek compensation from those responsible for your damages, including:
- Past and future medical costs, including hospital stays, doctor’s office visits, surgeries, physical or occupational therapy, prescription medication or mobility and medical equipment
- Long-term care expenses, if your injuries make you partially or fully disabled
- Lost wages for the time you missed from work
- Lost earning potential, if your injuries prevent you from earning the same level of income you earned before your injury
- Lost enjoyment or quality of life
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium, which compensates your spouse for the loss of your companionship
Time Limit for Filing a Personal Injury Claim
If you have a personal injury claim in Detroit, you have limited time to file a lawsuit. The time limit is called the statute of limitations. Under Michigan law, a personal injury claim must be filed within three years from the date of your injury. The limitations period may be extended, or tolled, under very limited circumstances. For instance, the time limit can be extended if the injured party is a minor. If you don’t file your lawsuit before the statute of limitations expires, the court can permanently dismiss your lawsuit.In addition to the statute of limitations, if you have a personal injury claim against the government you must provide the government with notice of your claim before you can even file a lawsuit. This notice period is typically much shorter than the statute of limitations. The notice period may be as short several weeks to several months, depending on the government department that harmed you.
Does Your Case Warrant a Personal Injury Claim?You may have a viable personal injury claim if you have been injured in an accident that was caused by the recklessness or negligence of another party. The accidents include:
- Car accidents – Car accidents are an all-too-common occurrence on Detroit’s roads. Unfortunately, Michigan’s no-fault insurance system can make it difficult to obtain compensation for your injuries.
- Truck accidents – Truck accidents leave victims with serious, life-altering injuries. You deserve to hold negligent truck drivers and trucking companies accountable for your injuries and damages. Christensen Law has a proven track record of success in helping clients recover after truck accidents. In fact, we have secured the largest jury verdict in Michigan history for trucking accident on a Michigan road.
- Motorcycle accidents – Motorcycle accidents pose serious risks of catastrophic injuries for motorcycle riders. Christensen Law attorneys are experienced riders themselves, and will fight back against efforts to shift blame for a motorcycle accident onto the rider. We will help you obtain the financial recovery you need and deserve.
- Pedestrian accidents – Unfortunately, some drivers fail to operate their vehicles with extra care in areas that pedestrians use. If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, Christensen Law will make sure that you obtain the financial resources you need for your recovery.
- Bicycle accidents – Bicyclists know all too well that many drivers fail to share the roads with them. Christensen Law can help you hold negligent drivers accountable when they strike you and cause severe injuries.
- Wrongful death – If you and your family have lost a loved one due to the acts or omissions of another party, Christensen Law stands ready to help. We will fight for the justice and compensation your family deserves.
- School and daycare abuse – No one expects their child to suffer sexual, physical or emotional abuse at school. When that happens, we can help you hold the school district responsible. Christensen Law has secured settlements for victims of physical and sexual abuse at public and private schools.
- Slip and fall – Property and business owners owe a duty to ensure their premises are free of dangerous hazards. Christensen Law can help you recover compensation when a property owner’s negligence lead to your serious slip and fall injuries.
- Products liability – If you were injured while using a product as prescribed, you may have grounds for a products liability case. Christensen Law has skills and experience with defective products cases. The cases we have handled range from a construction crane collapse to defective boats and defective coffee makers.
- Construction accidents – Construction sites are among the most dangerous workplaces. Whether you are a construction worker injured on the job or a passerby injured at a construction site, Christensen Law can help you secure the financial compensation you are entitled to.
- Child injuries – Parents do everything they possibly can to keep their children safe. When your child is injured by someone else’s negligence, Christensen Law can help you and your child get justice and full compensation.
- Premises liability – Property owners have a legal obligation to take care of hazards that could harm visitors. Owners can be held liable when a visitor is seriously hurt by a broken stair, a slick surface or any number of other dangers.
Get Help from a Personal Injury Lawyer in Detroit Now
If you or a loved one have been injured through no fault of your own in Detroit, you deserve to seek compensation from those who caused your accident and injuries. Don’t leave the financial compensation you need and deserve to chance. Contact an experienced Detroit personal injury lawyer
at Christensen Law today. We will schedule a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss your case. You will learn more about your legal rights and your options for pursuing compensation for your injuries and damages.
615 Griswold Street
Detroit, MI 48226